April 18, 2010

Almond Yogurt Loaf



Boy, did I ever have a baking slump last week! Over the course of three days, I tried three new recipes and none of them turned out particularly good. I mean, nothing that I made was bad enough for the blunder files, but all three recipes resulted in boring, flavorless baked goods that were meh at best.

I was feeling pretty frustrated after three failures in a row, so to help snap myself out of my baking funk, I decided to make a recipe that I knew was both simple and delicious: yogurt loaf. And since I also had an open bag of almonds sitting in my pantry that I wanted to use up, I decided to make my yogurt loaf almond flavored.

And I'm happy to report that, unlike my previous three baking flops, this almond yogurt loaf came out really tasty! It's perfectly sweet and is heavily scented with a heavenly almond aroma. The loaf itself is dense yet tender and very moist, and the little bits of chopped almond that are hidden throughout the loaf provide and nice crunch and a bit of nuttiness.

Yep. I think my baking slump is officially over. :)

This recipe is adapted from the Gateau au Yaourt a la Vanille recipe that is posted over at Piece of Cake:

Almond Yogurt Loaf

1 1/2 c (210 g) all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c plain yogurt
1 c sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 c vegetable oil
3/4 c chopped almonds

1. Preheat your oven to 350°.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, almond extract, and vegetable oil until everything is well combined. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and gently stir until the batter just barely comes together. Gently stir in the chopped almonds.

4. Generously grease two mini-loaf pans and fill them 3/4th of the way full with the batter. (I had a little bit of leftover batter, which I later baked up in a small ramekin.) Place the mini-loaf pans on a baking sheet and place the baking sheet in the oven. Bake the loaves for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a loaf comes out clean. Allow the loaves to cool in their pans for 10 minutes before turning them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I do love anything almond flavored! Its always good to have a few of these no-brainer recipes in your repertoire for occassions like this. :)

    ReplyDelete